Saturday 21st June 2014
Newcastle Upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear
The Virgin Money Cyclone Challenge rides are one of the premier cycling events in the UK where non competitive cyclists can test their fitness and set themselves a personal challenge. The event is part of the UCI Golden Wheel series and attracts riders from both inside and outside the UK.
The three rides on offer are –
- Ride A – 33 miles – Green Route – Designed for families and those just who want to enjoy the countryside without any large hills. The route is undulating and ascends for a total of 390M (1280ft) whilst passing through a number of small villages with pubs and Coffee shops.
- Ride B – 63 miles – Blue Route – This ride is for semi serious cyclists or those who want a challenge. It is a hilly route and not to be entered without a little previous training. The route is the same route as Ride C for the first half and then goes off in a different direction to eventually join up with ride C again for the last 1/3rd of the ride. It ascends 1217M (3993ft) in the 62mls
- Ride C – 104 miles – Black Route – A serious challenge for the more experienced cyclists or those who are very fit. The route is very hilly with 2374m (7789ft) of climbing. The route is very choppy with 8 significant climbs and the highest point is Troughend Common (340m), west of Otterburn in the Cheviot Hills. Riders competing this distance will have the additional challenge of achieving Gold, Silver or Bronze Standard for their ride. The standards are set as follows,Gold Standard – under 5hrs 40 mins, Silver Standard – 5hrs 41 mins – 6hrs 30mins, Bronze Standard – over 6hrs 31mins.
All rides use safe and quiet roads and visit numerous villages along their way. Finishers in all events will be given a finishing time as well as intermediate split times. Riders will be able to download a certificate after completion of the event which will show their finishing time.
- Choice of waymarked routes
- Electronic timing
- Feed Stations
- Emergency support
- Event Photographer
- Free T-shirt and Certificate upon completion
Newcastle Falcons Rugby Club
Kenton Bank Foot
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Website Entry – Yes (entry webpage) – entries open 31st October 2013
On The Day – No